Monday, November 24, 2014

supplies within reach: ideas for clothespin dolls

Lately I haven't had long stretches of time to make things but on the upside, this sort of urgency to create on the fly definitely leads to using whatever is within reach. Some materials to try:

Good ol' construction paper
My Pilgrim doll's dress is made from black and white pieces of construction paper (from Ikea, my fave) over a white cupcake liner


Paper lunch bag and low-tack tape
The zig-zag edging of the sack adds a fun detail to the Native American doll's dress. This very weathered clothespin is bound at the slats to fit into the wooden doll stand; I like to think it makes the doll look like she's wearing fancy boots. A narrow slice of tape makes a headband that's easy to position (and can hold a feather); its bright turquoise color is perfect!


Construction paper and paper punch
Backtracking to Halloween, having this circular paper punch made assembling a witch's hat much easier. A scrap of black tulle adds mystery!

Doilies
Intricately laced doilies make flirty little skirts, collars and aprons.


Cupcake liners
Of course, here's a lovely trio from my first book Tinkered Treasures


Foil cupcake liner or aluminum foil
Yet another variation on the clothespin or peg doll is the dreamy Merpeg from Seaside Tinkered Treasures


Endless possibilities for limited tinkering time!


I am thankful for your visit! Wishing everyone a safe, healthy, happy and yummy Thanksgiving!

xo
elyse

7 comments:

Theresa said...

I just bought a bag full of those little clothespins:) Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS! I hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Dreaming of Vintage said...

Your clothespin dolls are super cute!

Kit said...

Oh so very cute! What is it about cloths pin dolls? They just make me smile. :) Kit

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The little mermaid sure is sweet! I love all of your sweet creations...especially dolls! Hugs, Diane

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

These are so cute Elyse!
Have you ever done some dolls for the 12 Days of Christmas?!

Anonymous said...

Those little dolls are precious and fun!

Sharon Hermens said...

Where might I find the stands for the dolls?