Sunday, May 12, 2013

tinkered treasures fun facts

I thought it would be fun to share a few fun facts about my book Tinkered Treasures ...


LIGHTS OUT This toggle switch plate-turned-frame project was styled and photographed but ended up being cut from the book. The reason? This type of switch plate while very common in the U.S. is not readily available in the U.K. and my publisher Cico Books is in London so this was a valid concern.

LIGHTS ON However, I liked the project so much that I pitched it to Romantic Homes as a Make It feature and created a French-Nordic version which ran in the magazine's October 2012 issue.

FABULOUS FOREWORD As soon as I told my treasured Fairy Godmother Fifi O'Neill, that the book was indeed happening, she offered to write its foreword. As you probably are well aware, Fifi is a conduit of beauty: she is a brilliant editor, stylist, author and generous heart. Even after many readings, her eloquent words about me and our friendship still amaze and astound me.

THIS AND THAT
  • I probably made double the amount of projects that actually ended up in the book
  • I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to the projects but I am regarding the text
  • Most projects were created while sipping flavored seltzer or Starbucks coffee and listening to the band Luna's Lunapark and Bewitched CDs which I find energizing without being distracting


ROYAL TREATMENT I shipped all projects to London in 3 or 4 batches where they were styled  beautifully by Sophie Martell and brilliantly photographed by Holly Jolliffe.

Dressed to match my book alongside the adorable Marisa
MARVELOUS MARISA My author photo was taken by my sweet new friend, the super-talented and adorable Marisa Bettencourt, who really came through in a pinch and showed up at my door with her camera just days after my plea. I gave her one of my first of two advance copies and her's was the first book that I signed!

TREASURE MAP Currently, Barnes & Noble does not carry my book in their stores but hopefully someday. For now, I hope you will request it from your favorite local bookseller or buy it online at Amazon.

Amazon or Amazon UK
THANK YOU
Hope you enjoyed this little making of post! Find more details about my first book at the book tab on this blog and view a peek here!

xo
elyse

11 comments:

Theresa said...

I bought it, I love it and I will check to see if I gave a review... if not, I sure will:) Have a blessed day sweet Elyse, HUGS!

Jm monroe said...

Just shared your darling tinkered toggle plates with Close Friends group and I am sure they will love them and hopefully tinker up some too. xoxo, Julie

Melinda said...

So fun!

M :)

Gabriela Delworth - Instructional Designer said...

Hello Elyse,

Thanks so much for sharing this post with all of us! I find the whole process of designing your projects for the book very interesting.

Those frames are lovely!


Gabriela

Verbena nested treasures said...

I love your work so much!!! I will be sure to order your book. xo Laura

Unknown said...

Very interesting! I am looking forward to treating myself to your book :)

Rustique Gal said...

Elyse, I'm so excited about your book from seeing these little peeks, that I will get one soon. I love the tiny frames. Your style is so sweet and nostalgic! Looking forward to seeing more!
Hugs,
Sherry

Katy Noelle said...

Those are fun facts, indeed! =D Actually, I'm smiling big at them because it's just fun to have a little peek into those early days - to see you in my mind's eye working on texts and sipping your drink and listening to your music!!

xxo

Scrap for Joy said...

Hey, thanks for the little "behind the scenes" info, it was very interesting. I finally got my blog post up about the book (and the cute author). Most of my readers already know you I think!
xoxo
Joyce

permanent magenta said...

We will have to pester Barnes and Noble!! and simply shop elsewhere for your beautiful book. Thanks for the tidbits elyse, they are fun and the pictures are lovely, I especially like your highlighted projects list!! Also beautiful site!-the M photographers. xo,M

Anonymous said...

I know this is an older post but I was showing your book to Husband last night saying, You know - she made this pink can with the pretty CK circles (it holds all my crochet needles and pens on my bedside tables-now everyone will be jealous!) and he said, OH..that Elyse!" But anyway, my point is that I was wondering why I hadn't left a review at Amazon. So I will!